Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:08:00 -0700
From:      Mahlon <mahlon-dated-1034449682.c803bb@martini.nu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Data corruption, unknown source.

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

Having a weird problem, just checking if anyone else has seen something
similar and can point me in a direction before I go swapping hardware.

Been seeing quite a few hosed files over the last few days, since
tossing a pair of Maxtor 80 gig drives into a box here.  They are
on a separate controller and separate channels (on an older Promise),
and the box is running 4.6.2 stable.  The drives are mirrored using
vinum.  I've got the newest bios for both the Promise and the Motherboard.

As a test, I dd'ed an empty 500 meg file, then md5'ed it.  After waiting
about 30 minutes, I md5'ed it again - the checksum had changed.  The drives
are checking out ok (using the Maxtor utilities) and vinum reports no
errors whatsoever.  Smaller files (text and binary) seem unaffected.
Anything over 5 megs is corrupted after a seemingly random amount of time.
After waiting over a day, the md5 checksum hadn't changed again, after the
initial scrambling.

This has me pretty well stumped, and I'm about to swap controller and
cables - just curious if anyone has dealt with something like this in the
past, and/or can steer me down better troubleshooting path.

-Mahlon

Mahlon E. Smith                        jabber id: mahlon@chat.martini.nu
http://www.martini.nu/               get pgp key:  mahlon-pgp@martini.nu
 In the lush green grass; The young lovers rolled over; SQUISH.  Found
                       stinkymeat. - Tom Elliott

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP--