Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:06:35 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A curious dmesg output entry

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 08:58:51AM -0400, John Bleichert wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> > That's a supported chipset:
> >
> >     happy-idiot-talk:~:% grep viapm /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT
> >     # viapm         VIA VT82C586B,596,686A and VT8233 SMBus controllers
> >     device          viapm
> >
> > You need to add:
> >
> >     device		smbus
> >     device		viapm
> >     device		smb
> >

> Where did you get 'viapm' from? Are *all* the possibilities documented
> somewhere? Is there a central resource for all the possible kernel
> config entries ? After seeing your post I found the
> viapm(4) man page but I never would have known about it otherwise.

The LINT kernel configuration is meant to contain all possible devices
and options.  As I remember I was trying to set up monitoring of my
motherboard and CPU temperatures, which I knew from previous
experience required use of SMBus devices, so I experimented with some
of the stuff in the LINT kernel until I found something that worked.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

PS.  You might find the sysutils/xmbmon port interesting.

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow