Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:24:32 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __sF

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 07:06:47PM +0000, Mark Murray wrote:
> > I seriously doubt that NAG will support both a
> > 4.x and 5.x version of their compiler.
>
> This shouldn't be a problem. The commercial software Should Not Be(tm)
> supporting something as variable as CURRENT, and with the STABLE libraries
> around in COMPAT mode, the compiler Will Just Work(tm) (or should with
> not much effort).
>
> By the time __sF is mainstream, I guess the vendor will have adapted
> their product to match. Win, win.

No, it does not just work.  The NAG f95 compiler generates a
C file.  The C file is compiled by gcc.

f95 -o a a.f90

is equivalent to

f95 -c -o a.c a.f90
gcc -o a a.c -lf96 -lm -lc

libf96.so is linked against libc.so, which is a symlink
to libc.so.4 on a 4.x system.  libm.so and libc.so are
symlinks that point to libm.so.2 and libc.so.5 on 5.x.
You pick up the wrong libc.so in the above line.

--
Steve