Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:40:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        bright@mu.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simple patch to make __sF suck less on -stable

In message: <20021107200249.GC39178@elvis.mu.org>
            Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> writes:
: * M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> [021107 11:00] wrote:
: > http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/sf-patch
: >
: > This causes stable to generate __std{in,out,err}p references in
: > preference to __sF.  If you rebuild with this patch, then you'll not
: > have __sF references in your libraries.  This will allow new us to
: > share 4.x and 5.x libraries w/o the need for a gnarly version bump of
: > everything, provided we don't change the sizeof FILE in a released
: > version before 6.0.
:
: The whole idea was to allow struct file to change in 5.0. :(

Well, we f***'d up.  We can't do that now.  If we'd done the patch
that is now at the above URL back in Aug 2001 we'd likely be able to,
but we missed doing that.  I'm thinking seriously of putting __sF back
into libc for the 5.x series of releases, and killing it with 6.0.  I
know people wanted to kill it for 5.0, and have the freedom to change
sizeof FILE, but we're going to have to live with it as the same size
for one more major release.

Warner