Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:11:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Helge Oldach <freebsd-stable-21nov02@oldach.net>
To:        mcambria@avaya.com (Cambria Mike)
Cc:        freebsd-stable-21nov02@oldach.net, archie@dellroad.org, larse@isi.edu, guido@gvr.org, dkelly@hiwaay.net, hausen@punkt.de, sullrich@CRE8.COM, greg.panula@dolaninformation.com, FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPsec/gif VPN tunnel packets on wrong NIC in ipfw? SOLUTION A ND QUESTIONS

Cambria, Mike:
> > From: Helge Oldach [mailto:freebsd-stable-21nov02@oldach.net]
> > Perhaps worth mentioning: ESP transport mode over a gif tunnel is
> > *not* the same as ESP tunnel mode. Having a FreeBSD box with transport
> > mode/gif work against a non-FreeBSD machine in ESP tunnel
> > mode will not
> > work.
>
> If you are referring to IPIP tunnels (e.g. gif) then applying IPsec
> transport mode to the outer IP, then see
> http://www.isi.edu/larse/papers/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-04.txt or the IETF ID
> site on how this works.

Interesting paper!

OK, I should have been more precise in stating the assumption of an IKE
framework (racoon). IKE should be taught that gif+transport == tunnel. :-)
That's where it breaks. It will however work fine with static keys.

What isn't mentioned there is that the IPIP/transport mode also makes
IPSec supporting multicast. (Note that most dynamic routing protocols
require multicasts, in contrast to the fact that the draft addresses
dynamic routing issues.)

The other possible concern is that IPSec has "built-in" PMTUD and
fragmentation/defragmentation, so effectively the end stations do not
notice that a smaller MTU (caused by the IPSec headers) is used on the
path during transit of the IPSec link. With IPIP there is a requirement
for explicit PMTUD for the end stations.

> Now, if you are referring to using gif+and IPsec _tunnel_ mode .... why
> would one want to even do this?

Most examples on the net for setting up IPSec using racoon or isakmpd
do it like this, for both tunnel and transport mode. Looking at the
details in the tunnel mode case one can see that the gif holds more like
a "routing placeholder" to get the routing table for the encapsulated
network correct. That's the only purpose I can see. A loopback interface
could do the same (doesn't work on FreeBSD for some reason), as could
static ARP entries using the MAC address of the encapsulating network's
default gateway.

In practice the problem presented in the paper is commonly solved in
a different fashion: By using GRE or IPIP encapsulation *plus* tunnel
mode. Seems a bit awkward and doesn't alleviate MTU problems, but that's
what people do when they have, say, an enterprise network with EIGRP or
OSPF with RFC 1918 addresses on transit links. (Again, explicit PMTUD
for the end stations, and that causes a lot of issues in practice.)

Helge