Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:35:43 -0500
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mbuf header bloat ?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 11:56:33AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Robert Watson wrote:
> > I'd like to continue to explore options for reducing the number of memory
> > allocations to extend storage on mbufs.  One idea I've been tossing around
> > is adopting Jeff Roberson's extension model used in struct proc and
> > related structures.
>
> I've been wondering about a couple of things..
> 1/ soemtiems I wonder if ALL mbufs should not be external mbufs.
>
> In other words, if the mbuf were always just a header and data was
> always stored on an external buffer it might actually simplify some
> code. It would then become possible that some tag space
> be allocated along with the mbuf header.. if MAC was
> in the system, then every mbuf would be allocated with a MAC tag by
> default.  Maybe as a single allocation. The UMA allocator's init()
> capability gives us a lot of latitude in doing things like that.

  I don't see how that would simplify anything.  You would still need
  two allocations for external storage because you need to offer
  third-party code the possibility to provide its own external storage
  type (think jumbo bufs or sendfile(2) or the zero-copy code).  You
  don't really gain anything except for maybe potential space wastage
  for very small packets by "always allocating an mbuf with external
  storage" (you may only save a really quick and negligeable size
  comparison, but that's it).

  As for non-third-party type external storage (your standard 2K mbuf
  clusters) those can be allocated in one shot with an mbuf pre-attached
  to it by the existing allocator anyway and an interface is provided to
  do so (m_getcl(), iirc).

--
Bosko Milekic * bmilekic@unixdaemons.com * bmilekic@FreeBSD.org