Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:04:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        uwe@ohse.de
Subject:   Re: lrzsz never works for me on FreeBSD (aha!)

Dirk Meyer was kind enough to suggest that I use the "-e" option to avoid
problems on connections that are not 8-bit clean. This did the trick, but led
me to wonder "why is my terminal not 8-bit clean?". I started experimenting
some more just now.

It turns out that since the dawn of time (10 years at least)
I've had this in my .login:

if ( ! $?TERMCAP ) then
       tset -Q  '-mdialup:?vt100' $TERM
endif

There's no TERMCAP environment variable these days, so the tset is invoked. I
don't think the 'dialup' business applies nowadays, either, and using the
$TERM argument is the default, so the effect is the same as if I had invoked
'tset' or 'reset' with no arguments. For the terminal types I use (vt100 or
linux), this is equivalent to making the following changes (assume each flag
would normally be the opposite of what it's being set to):

stty -echok ixany ignpar oxtabs onocr onlret erase ^?

I'm not sure what they all mean, since I'm not well versed in terminal arcana,
but surely they are pretty much all problematic:

-echok = do not echo NL after KILL character
 ixany = allow any character to restart output
ignpar = ignore characters with parity errors
oxtabs = expand tabs to spaces on output
onocr  = do not output CRs at column zero
onlret = NL performs the CR function on the terminal
erase ^? = sets the ERASE character to something unhelpful

I have no need to invoke tset at all, as far as I know, so I've commented that
line out. Man, all these years, never able to use lrzsz for this silly reason.

Oh well. One for the archives.

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/