Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:09:48 -0800
From:      Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 80386 out of GENERIC

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:55:14AM -0800, Johnson David said:
> Okay, here's a compromise solution for all those people still needing 386
> support out of the box: make a 5.0-mini-386.iso image.
>
> p.s. I somehow suspect that embedded systems vendors aren't installing from
> the CDROM.

why is this an issue?

1) supporting every computer made since 1964 is NetBSD's job, not
   FreeBSD's.

2) I'm scared that 5.0 is going to be unpleasantly slow on my p2-366, let
   alone a 386.

3) if you feel compelled to run old hardware, why not shell out $30 for a
   486 system? for $50 you can get a Pentium 166. :-)

I'm really keen to see FreeBSD move *forward*.

chris

Chris Doherty
chris [at] randomcamel.net

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne