Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:03:42 -0500
From:      Edmond Baroud <SoHo@admin.fido.ca>
To:        Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network issue

Hi,

I'm kinda new to this list but I had the same problem when I've
upgraded from 4.5-release to 4.7-stable.

about the ping, I'm not sure if you have any f/w on ur network or
you've installed ipf by default try ipfstat or ipmon.
concerning ssh, make sure your hostname is configured correctly if ur
using a DNS, with the correct reverse, gethostbyname() will hang ssh
with no errors (from what I've seen) if your IP has different dns
entries or wrong reverse hostnames..

hope this helps u get somehwere,

Ed.

Quoting Brian Henning (b1henning@hotmail.com):
> I just installed fbsd4.7 on my laptop. I used a lot of the default settings
> like default security and the ssh. I had to add my PCMCIA NIC to the
> pccard.conf so that my machine could be on the network. After doing so i
> configured it and I was able to access the web and the other machines from
> it. I then tried to ssh into the laptop from another machine on my network
> and i get nothing. When i try to ping the same laptop from another machine
> on my local network i get nothing.
>
> [/usr/src/sys/i386/conf]> ping 192.168.1.44
> PING 192.168.1.44 (192.168.1.44): 56 data bytes
> 100 % packets lost.
>
> i tried this from several other machines and get the same results.
> Anyone have any advice? Something to look for?
>
> thanks for any help,
>
> brian

Edmond Baroud                  Mobile: 1.514.999.8777
UNIX Systems Admin             mailto:SoHo@admin.fido.ca
Microcell Telecom              http://www.microcell.ca/
I.Fido Services                http://www.fido.ca/
Fingerprint  140F 5FD5 3FDD 45D9 226D  9602 8C3D EAFB 4E19 BEF9
"UNIX is very user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."