Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:44:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hangs under load

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Jake Burkholder wrote:
> Apparently, On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 07:11:14PM +0000,
> 	Gavin Atkinson said words to the effect of;
>
> > OK, well I've managed to get world/kerenl updated and still have the
> > hangs. I can do nothing with the serial console, and nothing gets
> > printed there or in the event log when it happens. It is reproducable,
> > running buildworld with /usr/src NFS mounted from a CURRENT i386
> > machine is sufficient (i'm about to try with local /usr/src to see if
> > that makes any difference). What else can I try?
>
> Does this still happen if you cut NFS out of the picture completely?
> Someone reported problems building world over nfs on an i386 box, which
> may be related.  The symptoms sound the same, complete hard lock.
>
> My ultra 10 does a make release almost everyday and I haven't had any
> problems with it locking up, but its all local disk.

Sorry for not replying sooner, with the buildworld running on local disks,
I still experience these lockups. I'm wondering if somehow the disk
controller is getting wedged?

Is there a way to get it to break to ddb on a serial break? Mine does not
respond to a break at all once the kerenl has started to boot.

Gavin