Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 2002 05:48:09 -0800
From:      Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
To:        Baas van Grat <lo0@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600 (Type 2645) & display settings & sound

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 12:26:44PM +0100, Baas van Grat said:

> I' m runnig FreeBSD4_7 on an TP600 (Type 2645). It's runnig fine 'n fast
> :-) But when I'm away from Keyboard for round about 10 minutes, the
> display goes black with backgroundlight from the display still on :-(
> This doesn't look like harware-energy-saving because off the
> backgroundlight burning all day long. Even when the display is xlocked
> it goes black with the backgroundlight still on... Any hints friends?

I have a 2645 as well (it's a 600E), and I experience this as well. sadly,
I have no insight, since I haven't investigated--even with APM turned off,
the screen does go entirely black when I close the lid, so most of the
time I just do that.

> Furthermore I'd like to know the most elegant way to turn sound on on an
> TP600 (Type 2645). How did you solve this issue.

I have this in my kernel file:

device pcm
options PNPBIOS

for

4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #14: Wed Dec 18 07:53:23 PST 2002

there's no problems running, but there is a seemingly intractable bug in
the interaction of the sound driver and APM--if you suspend the system,
sound doesn't work when it wakes up. I asked freebsd-mobile@ and the
information (including from Warner Losh) was that the pcm driver is not
APM-aware, and I'm not sure if it's even possible to fix.

I also haven't had any luck running pcm/csa as loadable modules, although
other people did, so it's possible I gave up too soon.

I was going to suggest checking the archives, but I can't find the
threads. maybe you'd have better luck.

HTH,
chris

Chris Doherty
chris [at] randomcamel.net

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne