Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:00:05 -0500
From:      "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feature Request

Gregory Bond(gnb@itga.com.au)@2003.01.09 09:31:43 +0000:
> ?Has there been consideration to make a "relative skip" function
>
> > Any comments?
>
> Horrible idea.  Rules can be added and deleted in the gap, which silently
> changes the meaning of your firewall ruleset.  A maintenance nightmare.
>
> And, as far as I can see, no redeeming features to compensate for the almost
> certain foot-shooting this would allow.

I don't see it that way.  I work in process automation and in our modular
programming language we have this capability to skip a number of "blocks"
or "jump out" of the program.

I understand that rules can be added and removed, but in most cases, once
the ruleset is "stable" nothing much changes.  Having a relative skip
would help me since I have written a number of ipfw-based firewall scripts
which could benefit from a relative skip.

As you perceive it to become a maintenance nightmare, I see it as a
potential benefit.

--
Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48