Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:58:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getsysfd() patch #1 (Re: Virtual memory question)

:> > shared memory; I don't see any need for ``semi-anonymous'' shared
:> > memory.  The garbage-collection problem is already bad enough.
:>
:> Meanwhile, in the real world, it is exactly what we need at work.
:> Anonymous shared memory (MAP_ANON and /dev/zero) isn't good enough.
:
:I suppose it's too late to argue that the L4 interface would be
:sufficient to solve all these problems...

    Hmm.  It's probably a bit overkill for what we need.  We would
    probably want to implement Mach IPC instead (since NetBSD is already
    working on Mach).  But IPC interfaces aren't really the issue here
    anyway.  You still need something to pass (aka a descriptor).   While
    you can pass shared memory around with the Mach interface, it is more
    designed for the short term shared memory accompanying a message and
    not really designed for memory objects (which can be larger then a
    process's VM space).  I don't know how L4 deals with passing memory
    around.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>