Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:00:04 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        "Danny" <lists@brenius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf Examples

Dan,

On Saturday 25 January 2003 21:49, Danny wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to wrap my head around the make.conf file, and I am curious
> to know if others have multiple /etc/make.conf files for certain
> situations, or just one.

Mostly you should have just one file, it should specify your type of CPU,=
=20
things you wouldn't want built, etc, that kind of stuff generally should =
only=20
ever change if you are doing things like cross-compiling for machines on=20
other platforms.

> Could you please post your /etc/make.conf(s) and explain the contents
> and resulting actions of your file.

The best documentation on /etc/make.conf is in the make.conf(5) manpage. =
It=20
has extensive explanations of all the options you can use and what they d=
o.

> Thank you!
>
> Danny
>
> P.S. After a fresh install (4.7R), are you suppose to have an
> /etc/make.conf? I found the /etc/defaults/make.conf, but I do not have =
an
> /etc/make.conf

On a fresh install, there is no make.conf. This is because in all cases,=20
/etc/defaults/make.conf is read first, and then, if it exists,=20
/etc/make.conf. If anything in make.conf differs or conflicts with=20
defaults/make.conf, the setting in make.conf is taken to be the correct o=
ne.=20
The best way to set up a make.conf is to take options in defaults/make.co=
nf=20
that you want to change, and put the changed option in make.conf, then ad=
d=20
extra options you might want from the listings in the make.conf(5) manpag=
e.

Good luck
Will

--=20