Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2003 21:19:02 +0100
From:      Chris Delnooz <c.delnooz@home.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Grub 0.92 fails to recognise disks on FBSD5

Hi all,

i'm experiencing problems with the installation of the GRUB bootloader. I=
 have=20
installed the port (grub version 0.92) and created the /boot/grub directo=
ry=20
with the files from /usr/local/share/grub/i381-freebsd. Next I created a=20
menu.lst file in /boot/grub and thought to install GRUB in the mbr, so I=20
launch the grub shell. My fbsd install is on ad0s2 with / on partition a.=
 If=20
i am correct that should be (hd0,1,a) for grub, right? well this is what =
i=20
get:

grub> root (hd0,1,a)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

I looked up the error in the manual and it says:
"This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full filename=20
refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not recognized by =
the=20
BIOS in the system."

which doesn't help me much i'm afraid... dmesg shows my disk as follows:
ad0: 39266MB <IC35L040AVVN07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

does anyone have a clue what's going on here?

Thanks in advance,
Chris