Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:59:28 +0100
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, anholt@FreeBSD.ORG, kde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/kdebase3 Makefile

--Boundary-02=_C+/P+TrjyWQYYOk

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 18:09, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> [ Moved to -ports, -kde ]

My personal opinion here, not yet discussed with the rest of the KDE team.=
=20

I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise, but i've been testing this periodica=
lly=20
on various machines since the day fcpackage-2.1 came out, and it's *very* h=
it=20
and miss for Qt when and if it works (and consistently miss if using the Xf=
t2=20
in the ports), so my opinion is " 4.3.0 is out really soon now, I vote we=20
wait until this really is provided by X, and then we get rid of the=20
standalone ports"

> =3D Xft2 would not hit any of future XFree86 releases until 4.3.0.
> =3D Moreover, I see no point in hacking in Xft2 support into XFree86-4-li=
bs
> =3D since Xft2/fontconfig live perfectly fine in the ports tree on their
> =3D own.

Qt prefers Xft2 over Xft1, and we have patched that out currently, until it=
's=20
provided by XFree86 itself. We really can't reliably use Xft2 until it's pa=
rt=20
of X again, or until Xft1 goes away (it's deprecated already, see=20
http://www.fontconfig.org.)

With all of Xft1, Xft2, freetype2, fontconfig (the new one) installed, libq=
t=20
itself builds, but then it all falls over when it hits it's own tools=20
(designer, assistant), because they try to link to the wrong one, and hello=
=20
missing-symbols.  The same happens when you try to compile anything else=20
using Qt, which is quite a problem. =20

What we have in ports now as fontconfig and Xft2, are from the fcpackage-2.=
1=20
Keith Packard released from simply tarring up parts of the X CVS tree.  It'=
s=20
a done deal that this stuff is going to be part of X and will be by the nex=
t=20
release.  Again, for anyone trying to sort out what all these libs are,=20
http://www.fontconfig.org, particularly the section "the many faces of Xft"=
=20
is very illuminating.

> There are two substantial benefits in hacking it into XFree86-4-libs:
>
> 	. the usual X-clients (XTerm, etc.) will use it too,
> 	  reducing run-time RAM usage, by sharing more libraries
> 	  with Qt-based programs;
> 	. none of the Xft2 aware software will need the -lXft to -lXft2
> 	  and Xft.h to Xft2.h patching -- the Mozilla with whatever
> 	  GNOME/GTK will just work.
>
> Kind of like the freetype2 dependency currently in XFree86-4-libs... The
> only reason not to do it, IMHO -- Eric's call -- is that 4.3.0 may be
> out soon...

I made the mistake of being the cheering section for holding Qt changes unt=
il=20
the KDE release last time around, and that promptly bit me on the ass when =
we=20
ended up holding KDE over for several weeks.  This one, however, is trickie=
r,=20
because getting it wrong actually *breaks* Qt and all Qt dependent apps qui=
te=20
severely, so I'm going to err on the side of caution again, and say "lets=20
wait" - provided the standalone fontconfig and Xft ports will go away or=20
deprecated once X is providing these libs.

Please, spare me 5 minutes, and take a look at this for a "how to get Xft2 =
and=20
Qt going" tutorial.. I think we'd all prefer to avoid this kind of madness:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=3Den&lr=3D&ie=3DUTF-8&selm=3DKReN9.803%2=
4b97.76863%40newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net

(sorry for wrap, but on a system *without* the renaming of the lib, this is=
=20
apparently the gymnastics one must go through to get the disparate=20
Xft/freetype/X/fontconfig bits to coexist together.  Imagine how much worse=
=20
it will be for us.)

Regards,
=2D-=20