Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:51:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tony <tony@idk.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: monochrome monitor

There are several different type of monitors and display boards.

The MDA is a text only (and later was a Herculules black/white greaphivs
card). This monitor has a 9pin connector on the viideo cable. Pluging a MDA
into a CGA can literally smoke the monitor..

MDA - monichrome 9 pin b/w adapter
CFA - 16 color

Now the VGA moniors come in either black and white or color, the cables
both have a 15 pin (some 14) connector on them that connect to a VGA board.

The rules that the bios uses to select which video board (if more than 1)
are more complex that in the simple "VGA/CGA" times.. multiple monitors
etc...

Ian