Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:58:05 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mable <mabler@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wireless install

--NY6JkbSqL3W9mApi

On Wednesday, 12 February 2003 at  7:43:15 -0800, Mable wrote:
> HELP! I'm VERY new to freebsd. I just got an IBM Thinkpad 755ce (not
> my first choice for computers, but hopefully better than nothing),
> and I have a Lucent Tehnologies Orinoco Silver wireless card. I've
> read things that say people have been able to get freebsd to work
> with wireless, but with older versions of freebsd. Is it best for me
> to use freebsd 4.7-stable or is it ok to go with 5.0? Also, do I
> need extra drivers, etc, or should it automaticly detect the card?

Under 5.0, it should automatically detect the card.  Under 4.x, you
will have to at least enable pccardd in /etc/rc.conf.  You may also
have to do other tweaking, though with the Orinoco card that's
unlikely.

Start with an unencrypted connection.  Once you have that up and
running, you can try other things.

Note that wicontrol is going away in the not too distant future in
release 5.  ifconfig can already do most things.

Greg

--NY6JkbSqL3W9mApi

--NY6JkbSqL3W9mApi--