Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:44:57 +0100
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Bobb Shires" <bobb@fastmail.fm>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 05:57 pm, Bobb Shires wrote:
> I'm trying to install 5.0-RELEASE on a Gateway Solo 5150 laptop
> (PII-366/128M), can't seem to get past this situation while
> booting from the CD:
<snipped>
>   Terminate ACPI
>   ata1-slave: ATAPI identify retries exceeded
>   Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
>=20
> Can anyone decipher this for me and suggest a course of action?

I'm not of the guru status where I could read what that problem is, but h=
ere=20
are some general common (once you know it :) sense ideas.

1) read the Early adopter's guide on the freebsd page.  5.0 is not produc=
tion=20
code yet.

2) Try installing 4.7Rel on the machine.  If that is successfull, the out=
put=20
of dmesg could be instructive in helping you get 5.0 installed.  man dmes=
g.

3) if you really want to get 5 on the machine another shot is to try -cur=
rent. =20
The 5.x development track is moving quickly and your problem may have bee=
n=20
solved.  You can do that by downloading -current boot floppies, or=20
downloading a -current snapshot from the japanese site (in english don't=20
worry).  Google for FreeBSD snapshots

4) disable ACPI, though I have no idea if that is possible to do before=20
installing.

after all those, and getting 4.x installed, if you still get the same pro=
blem=20
with -current, then send an email with as much info as you can to the=20
-current mailing list. that is where you should be with 5.x issues.
Include the output of boot -v from the initial prompt (hit a key to get t=
o=20
it).

my .02 euro,drachma,$,etc.

Tim