Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:02:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com>
To:        Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@aeiou.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -O2 considered harmful

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Nuno Teixeira wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 06:51:55PM -0800, Rhett Monteg Hollander wrote:
>
> I understand it. Anyway, there is known problems by using -mmmx or
> -m3dnow on builworld/buildkernel? Well, I used allways march=pentiumpro
> on stable and now pentium2 on current without any problem.

I've been using -march=athlon-xp -O2 -mmmx -m3dnow and -msse on my desktop
for close to a month without any noticeable quirks. I rebuild world twice
daily and kernel every other day...

> I use some applications like grip, lame, mplayer, etc. Maybe I get some
> extra performance running this apps.

With -mmmx, -m3dnow or -msse, you're going to get a noticeable
improvement, especially with lame and mplayer.

I recommend compiling programs that use sound or graphics with high
optimization cflags and keeping moderately conservative options for the
base system and kernel.

Regards,