Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:49:02 +0100
From:      Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists-freebsd-questions@biaix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   linking math/octave against different readline

Hi,

math/octave does not build on -stable, since it needs a newer readline
version, and the configure script fails (cd /usr/ports/math/octave &&
make will show you). So I installed a local version
of readline (readline-4.3) and tried linking against it using LDFLAGS
and CPPFLAGS. The configure script does not fail anymore (since
CPPFLAGS has my readline's version include directory), but the program
is still linked against the system's readline:

ldd src/octave | grep readline
libreadline.so.4 => /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4 (0x2874e000)

And leads to runtime failure:
octave:1> help
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: src/octave: Undefined symbol
"rl_get_screen_size"

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to my readline's lib directory works, but I'd
like to avoid it. So how can I force the linker to ignore
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4 when linking?

tks
--
pica