Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:18:52 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "W. Sierke" <ws@senet.com.au>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: localhost name resolution problem

Hello!

> # host localhost
> localhost.my.domain is a nickname for my.domain
> my.domain has address 202.x.x.x
>

> Someone suggested I check localhost.:
>
> # host localhost.
> Host not found.

AFAIK the host command doesn't use /etc/hosts. No matter what is
specified in /etc/host.conf, the host command always uses DNS.
I got bitten by the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

To check whether localhost resolves to 127.0.0.1, try for example
'ping localhost'

Given the contents of your hosts file, you should be OK.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?