Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:27:53 +0000
From:      Andrew Sparrow <spadger@spadger.best.vwh.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soundcard Recommendation

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:11:17AM -0600, Jim Ramsay wrote:
> I'm thinking of doing some home recording with my FreeBSD system,
> but the onboard CMI soundcard seems to do a poor a/d conversion -
> it's pretty noisy.  Not that I'm surprised - I'm sure it's mainly
> because it's part of the motherboard / cheap.

If you're recording from line-in, it's worth a quick check that
the microphone is muted, or vice versa...

Even cheesy modern soundcards shouldn't be all that bad unless
you're an audiophile.

The original SB-16 was notorious for the "frying bacon" sound
effects, but anything made since then should be better (most cards
made at the same time were, too)...

Cheers,

AS