Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:21:58 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@ofw.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Force a GCC version or a FreeBSD version ?

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:18:20PM +0300, Dan Naumov wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> I am currently thinking about making a port for Visual Boy Advanced (as
> the name implies, it's a GBA emulator). The problem is, according to the
> documentation, it will ONLY work properly with GCC 3.2 or newer. Which
> route shall I go ? Shall I force a specific version of GCC on the user
> or shall I make this port BROKEN for all FreeBSD versions prior to 5.0 ?

There is a port for gcc32 which works on both -STABLE and -CURRENT
afaik.

> From my understanding, mixing multiple GCCs (which are binary
> incompatible) on 1 system is a bad idea.

It is not a bad idea if it is unambiguously decided which compiler is
called when running 'gcc'. I think the gcc32 port installs the compiler
as 'gcc32' so that's not a problem. You would have to patch VBA to use
gcc32 as the compiler (setting CC=3Dgcc32 will probably work).

> Also doing this GCC trickery will make my life even harder, as I don't
> have a 4.x box to test this on. Are 5.0-only ports frown upon or are
> they generally OK ?

I think that in this case it isn't too hard to make it work on 4.x.
Having run VBA on FreeBSD before I volunteer to test it on 4.x. You can
send me your preliminary port if you feel like it.

I hope it will work out, it would make my GBA dev environment less
sucky (vgba, Marat Fayzullin's emu, is binary only and doesn't understand
GCC debugging features last time I checked).

--Stijn

--=20
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to anoth=
er
world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or =
you
accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it real=
ly
is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected
things."
		-- Shigeru Miyamoto

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI--