Date:      Wed, 7 May 2003 15:59:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon1 <simon1@server.simon1.net>
To:        Bruce Campbell <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a few WD1200JB drives going offline

I've had that happen a number of times.

Drives: 	WD600BB-00CFC0
Controller:	HighPoint HPT370 ATA100 controller
Configuration:	Mirrored

Happened twice within a weeks time. Stopped for about 4 months, and now
it's happened twice within the past 4 days. I noticed it's been a little
warmer lately, in the room, but the temperature inside the case hasn't
been that extreme.

I get a timeout error, a message about resetting the buss (or similar),
the drive light stays on and that's it until I power-cycle the system.

I've got 8 systems like this in use, and the only one to act up is the one
with the WD's in them (The other 7 use Seagate's).

Unless they're very temperature sensitive (or a controller is) I'm not
sure exactly what would be causing this. When I ran the diagnostics a few
months back they came up clean.

-Michael Wolfe