Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2003 08:18:39 +1000
From:      David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Selling FreeBSD

Paul Robinson (paul@iconoplex.co.uk) [030606 19:09]:

> If they aren't enthusiastic, it's because it's not solving any problems for
> them. The fact it works great as a high-traffic MX or HTTP server isn't
> something most businesses need. As for desktop use, well, it does suck
> compared to something like Mandrake for an average run-of-the-mill office
> worker. Even Mandrake sucks a little bit compared to Windows XP these days.

I would question that. I just set my highly non-technical wife up with
FreeBSD 4.8, KDE 3.1, Mozilla Firebird 0.6 (Linux binary) and
OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 (Linux binary, as mentioned on this list ;-). It does
require an administrator to at least run the ports or packages, but
any office network will need an administrator.

The only thing still missing is a drop-in replacement for Outlook. Other
than that, it's probably more usable than Windows, and a Windows user
should have no trouble.

"It works like Windows, but it doesn't crash!"

- d.