Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas McIntyre <temac@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   gem0 not working on sparc64 current

Greetings,

Anybody know why recent CURRENT kernels have switched gem0 on my
sparc64 Netra from the physical port marked 0 to the one marked 1?
The same thing happened when testing the install of gentoo sparc64,
but 5.1 had it right on RELEASE; it just recently flip flopped.

It took some head scratching before figuring out to try plugging the
patch cable into the other port.

Full disclosure is that one of my machines suffered through an
unrelated (self inflicted :) problem, by accidentally reinstalling a
minimal RELEASE over the top of CURRENT, which of course scrambled
/etc files and generally created some minor havoc.

Since then /usr/{src,obj} has been blown away, the system supped, and
world and kernel reinstalled, so my naive understanding is that the
machine should be back to baseline CURRENT...

=-=-=-=-=

While on the topic of general weirdness, I've batched up a couple
more questions about sparc64 CURRENT:

1) It seems that new versions of `ps aux` don't like the RELEASE
kernel (complaints about can't find kvm_getprocs), which is a problem
for maintenance during an emergency, such as loosing one's network
connection.

2) It would appear that fdisk and disklabel don't work.  Going back
to the install program to partition the second disk is what caused
the installation havoc above.  Anybody know how sysinstall does it's
dirty work?  I'm trying to setup vinum and would rather not bounce
through the menu.

3) Lastly, (the question has been mailed around in a different
context) since vinum boot encapsulation apparently requires having
swap be the first physical partition, does anybody know why
sysinstall wants to put root first?  Perhaps even if a raid isn't
supported on install, there should be an option or a warning or
something to get the partitioning straight.....short of that some
cookbook instructions on how to dump/load the existing partitions to
move them around might be helpful.  I'm also not totally clear on if
and how the boot loader needs to be put on the second disk.

I've been trying to claw my way through it (vs reinstallation),
mostly as a gedanken exercise, but I feel somewhat ill equipped to
create formal suggestions on this for others.

Thx,
Tom McIntyre

http://sbc.yahoo.com