Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:50:17 -0400
From:      Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>
To:        Ian Freislich <ianf@za.uu.net>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth monitoring

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:53:31AM +0200, Ian Freislich wrote:

> Won't that count all the ethernet frames and local ethernet broadcasts
> which probably won't be billed for?  We had this problem using
> router (ethernet) interface counters to measure traffic in our
> hosting center.  The trouble is that any traffic between servers
> on the same physical network is counted even though it isn't routed
> and shouldn't be billed for.
>
> It's pretty unfair of your ISP to charge you for useage without
> providing any mechanism for you to keep tabs on what they're measuring
> throughout the month.

The SNMP if[In|Out]Octet counters for ethernet include frame overhead,
local broadcasts, etc. Odds are 99.999% you're getting billed for the
ethernet overhead anyways.

> I would suggest that you find out exacly how they measure your
> traffic useage. ie do they measure only packets that were switched
> by their router or just any and every single byte that their router's
> ethernet interface sees.  The first is IMHO much more fair than the
> second because trafic local to your IP network won't be charged.

It isn't really unfair, as long as everyone does it the same way
consistantly. Maybe it's unfair for your provider to charge you the same
price for traffic to your next-door-neighbor customer off the same switch
that they would charge you for transit they haul to the other side of the
world... Or maybe it's unfair that you pay so little for that longhaul
traffic, and they're just giving you a lower price becaue they assume
you'll do some local traffic and it will all average out.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras