Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:08:28 +0100
From:      Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Security question (simple).

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

Hi,

  I'm fairly new to network/machine security (but I know enough to write
some firewall rules, just the basics.  I guess I'm getting on for
novice, or something ;)

  I'm running two jails on my box, which has a dialup connection to the
'net.  It's all firewalled off and only certain things are available
=66rom outside.  For incoming WWW I have some port-forwarding going on
(natd), which bounces it to the httpd running in the jail.  Am I right
in thinking if I am running some inherently insecure application there
is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY anybody can exploit it if it's not listening on the
dial-up interface?  I mean, without rooting the host system first.  Or,
if it's not, it's still pretty hard, right?

-lewiz.

--=20
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple@lewiz.net | jab:lewiz@jabber.org | url:http://lewiz.net |-

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV--