Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 2003 18:24:46 -0700
From:      BSD baby <bsdlap@hitmedia.com>
To:        T Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wav to mp3?

> I did a make search in the ports collection and didn't see what (I think) I
> need, so I'll ask here.
> Is there a utility (or utilities) in ports for converting .wav files to mp3?

/usr/ports/audio/lame has really become the standard.

SO easy to use from the command-line, just do:

lame YourSong.wav
... and it will make the standard 128kbps MP3 file.

or:

lame --preset standard YourSong.wav
... and it will make a super-high-quality audiophile MP3.

If you want to do a batch, you can just use "find" to loop through them all like this:

cd /WAVFILES
find . -name "*.wav" -exec lame {} \;