Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:12:01 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Eric Timme <timothy@voidnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kazaa/p2p on a LAN and ping problems

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 07:49:07PM -0600, Eric Timme wrote:
> Network topology:
>
> LAN <==> FreeBSD Gateway <==> Internet
>
> Gateway specifications:
> FreeBSD overlord 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Mon Sep 22 07:05:09 CDT
> 2003
> k6-233, 128MB ram
> ipf packet filtering in place
>
> Internet (cable):
> 256kb up
> 2.0mbish down
>
> ======
>
> It seems an impossible task to limit Kazaa and other p2p (Kazaa especially)
> from accessing the Internet from a LAN, especially when you're sharing the
> LAN with other college age people. So, I've instead told them to limit their
> upstream to 5kB, which leaves a good amount of of the upstream pipe for web
> browsing.
>
> However, whenever any p2p in the house is active pings on any external network
> degrade horribly, even if it's only a single host, and 20kb of my upstream
> bandwith remains.
>
> Wolfenstein servers that I pinged 30 on with no p2p activity on the LAN, for
> instance, begin to ping at 400-500 ; the situation is equally bad with MUDs
> and other ping reliant games such as Quake.
>
> Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to fix the problem so that ping
> dependant games can be played while p2p apps are active on the LAN? Kicking
> the network cable out works late at night, and at times during the day, but
> it isn't a permanent solution. Limiting p2p from the LAN completely is not
> possible from my position.
>
> A user on IRC mentioned he had no such problem with IPFW - if my problem isn't
> specific does that mean that my use of ipf is responsible for this behavior?

You could check if you router slots are free. They proberbly are.

You could enfore a bandwith policy on you users. You could have a static
bandwith limitation with ipfw meaning that they can only have 25% or a
dynamic one maning they have 100% unleass they use it heavly 25%.
(meaning lag when someone just starts using p2p). I have written some
article about this on my website. I integrated the ipfw firewall
options.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: