Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2004 08:48:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      70uf33q Hu5541n <topa_007@yahoo.com>
To:        "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
Cc:        hackers-freebsd@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.1 Installation probelms

hey Daan,

:) I did use Partition mAgic 8 to resize the
partition.

PM8 resized the logical drive.Not the extended
partition.SO though I have "unused" space on my HD,
its locked away in the Extended Partition and not
detected by F-BSD.
Is it possible to resize the whole extended partition
with PM8?

Not a power-windows user, so havent used PM8 much. I
hope the people behind FreeBSD could fix this problem.

RedHat/other linux distros seem to use the free space
perfectly fine.

Also, does FreeBSD use FAT or ext2/3 partition? -just
a doubt.

cheers,
TH
--- "Daacn Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
wrote:
> On Sunday 11 January 2004 11:29, 70uf33q Hu5541n
> wrote:
> > hey guys,
> >
> > Just got my copy of FreeBSD 5.1.
> > Spent about an hour going through the BSD Handbook
> and
> > preparing a Installation checklist.
> >
> > ok here's my problem.
> >
> > I have a WD 40 GB HDD
> > the primary partition is 10 GB, with the extended
> > partition 28 GB.(the rest 2 GB is in WD's bank).
> >
> > OK , the extended partition has 3 logical drives.
> > To create a slice for BSD, I resized one of the
> > logical drives to free up some space. About 1.2
> > GB,cause that's all I can spare.
> >
> > When I run the installation through CDROM, and the
> > point where I'm to creat the Freebsd slice,the new
> > partition is not displayed in the "FDISK" utility.
> >
> > All I get is the primary (10GB) and the whole
> Extended
> > (28 GB).
> > The freespace I guess is "locked into" the
> Extended
> > Partiton. Not sure though.
> Indeed you first have to resize the extended
> partition before you can use the
> space to create slices. The "fdisk" program that
> comes with Windows has no
> way to do this (except deleting all logicle drives
> in the extended partition
> and re-creating them). Have a look at the program
> "Partition Magic". It can
> resize partitions and it has a nice user interface.
>
> grtz,
> Daan

=====
"Love is control,I'll die if I let go