Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:55:07 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64-bit time_t snapshot?

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 04:46:53PM -0500, Ken Smith wrote:

> After 5.2.1-RELEASE is loaded on ftp-master I could try doing a
> snapshot build for sparc64 that has the 64-bit time_t stuff incorporated
> into it.  That way *if* someone trashes a machine trying to do the
> upgrade (by all reports Garance's instructions are really good :-)
> they could load off this snapshot instead of off 5.2.1-RELEASE and
> re-attempting the upgrade.
>
> Does this seem worth doing?

Yes, definitely. It gives people a chance to move forward rather than
to revert.

> I could see about providing the same basic
> set of packages that normally come on disc1 pre-built on a 64-bit time_t
> system as part of this.  Normally portmgr@ does the package builds
> for the releases so I haven't needed to do any of those yet but I
> think I know how...

I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's probably more confusing to
provide 64-bit time_t packages alongside the official packages. I
would suggest we push for making the 64-bit time_t official and let
the package stuff sort itself out automaticly.

> If this is worth doing, any thoughts on whether it would be best to
> base it on 5.2.1-RELEASE (plus just the time_t change) or would it
> be better to try and catch a -current that seems stable?

I would go for -current. That way any preparatory commits (like the
realclean target) do not have to be backported.

> The release
> building procedure I've been doing needs to suck everything out of a
> CVS repo as it builds the release so I'd need to freeze a copy of the
> repo and add in the time_t change to it locally for this snapshot build.

A timestamp (pick feb 13 :-) does the trick nicely.