Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:07:13 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrey Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, src-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-src@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/groff FREEBSD-Xlist src/contrib/groff/src/include getopt.h src/contrib/groff/src/libs/libgroff getopt.c getopt1.c

--2FkSFaIQeDFoAt0B

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:02:53AM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Andrey Chernov:
> > > According to Andrey A. Chernov:
>=20
> > that it will be replacement for gnu getopt (as for fnmatch, stpcpy etc =
gnu
> > pollution). getopt_long() was too long in the libc to really trigger the
> > switch now. I don't take files off the branch, just remove unneded junk,
> > most of it is already in FREEBSD-Xlist. It always be our style to not=
=20
> > import unneeded files.
>=20
> Look at the commit message, these files were on the FSF vendor branch, you
> have taken these off that branch!  That's _not_ the way you should have d=
one
> it.
>=20
Removing files on the HEAD branch is somewhat rather special way
to "take files off the vendor branch", and as Andrey already
pointed out, we needed to remove at least getopt.h so the
FreeBSD's native version of getopt.h gets used.  And there was
no point keeping other getopt*.c either with this change.

FWIW, these changes are OK with the Groff and Texinfo maintainer
(me).

Of course I'd appreciate it if these changes were discussed
prior to being committed, but I'm sure we'd end up with
something like that in any case.

I'm still not sure that updating FREEBSD-Xlist files in all
cases was a good idea, but that minor bit is harmless and
can easily be recovered from if desired, but removing the
getopt.h files on HEAD is what this change in effect does.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov
FreeBSD committer