Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:02:31 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        Jim Zajkowski <jim@jimz.net>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Most wanted

On Friday 05 March 2004 21:43, Jim Zajkowski wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Daniela wrote:
> > These are areas where optimization is critical, because if two
> > programs deliver equal quality, professionals will always choose the
> > one that is much faster than the other.
>
> Almost always, substantial speed gains in e.g. MPEG compression come
> from algorithmic advances and not by switching to assembly.

I know. I love to do all kind of optimization, including algorithm
improvements. But I'm so into low-level programming, that it's (sometimes)
easier for me to code in ASM than in C.

> Professionals also prefer tools that work the way they do, which is why
> most professional tools have steep learning curves -- because they're
> made to be efficient, not accessible.  Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, and
> even UNIX have difficult interfaces for beginners but efficient
> interfaces for seasoned users.  Word, on the other hand, has a
> difficult interface for everyone.

Yes, that's true. While I would not yet call myself a seasoned user, I think
shell navigation is more efficient than that graphical stuff, but newbies
disagree with me.