Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:59:57 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        WebServer <aguasc@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Alpha Status

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:01:40PM -0500, WebServer wrote:
> Before all, could you give the "REAL" status of the
> version distros? I mean:
> - What is fully functional
> - What not
> - Which machines are really supported? (Any get
> succesfully installed on EB164?)

I have 4.9 and 5.2 running on an EB164.  Everything I have on the box
works fine.  There appear to be occasional glitches (every week or so)
with the NIC, but that may well be hardware related.

> - Hardware support: sound, modem, nic, bla bla
> - Xfree works? tga support?

Probably best to read the hardware support notes, but this all should work.

> - How many alpha users/developer are? the future
> promises?

Dwindling, as you might expect of hardware thats been killed off.

> - There is more functional than RH 7.1?

HP/Compaq released their own version of RH 7.2.  That gets you a little
more up to date.

> After search for a functional boot floppies & several
> tries to write the partitions, i give up ... sadly i
> find that 5.2.1 still is not ready (correct me if
> doesn't true) and follows the incomplete way of:
> Mandrake and Debian. So, i must resign to use the dead
> and more functional RH7.1.

You do realise that FreeBSD isn't Linux right?

If you want Linux you might also look at Gentoo.  I believe they have
an alpha port.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org