Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:02:52 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob89@bobj.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        prague <korndistortion@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: dead mouse

On Thursday 08 April 2004 07:13 am, prague <"prague"
<korndistortion@hotmail.com>> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> New to FreeBSD coming off of Slackware Linux.
>
> I went through the install okay but the mouse (an optical mouse,
> non-USB) is dead when i do 'startx'. The mouse should be recognized
> as a PS/2 but it wasn't. I have edited the XF86Config and changed it
> to an IMPS/2 and added

It may help to post your actual configuration, since you haven't given
enough information to tell what it is.

> Options "Buttons" "5"
> Options "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>
> to the file. This was a fix for Slackware and I thought it may have
> been the same problem but, still nothing.
>
> Any ideas?

I've found that in recent X11 releases, the FreeBSD mouse driver
(moused) doesn't seem to play well.  I don't use it, and I let X manage
the mouse directly.  For most mice, the "auto" protocol determination
works fine, e.g.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psm0"
EndSection

The advantage of the mouse driver is that it lets you cut and paste when
you are using a text console (i.e. not using X).

- Bob