Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:55:14 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.10 RELEASE questions

Hey everyone.  I have a confusing situation here with the new kernel.

I just upgraded to 4.10, and in the process, decided to get a
moderately updated kernel config.  Particularly, I wanted to try to
get my sound working again.

Here's the thing.  I have the following lines in my kernel config:
device          pcm

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

options         PNPBIOS

You'll see the reason I've included the serials in a sec:

The dmesg.boot file shows the following tidbits:
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x12eb, dev=0x0001) at 14.0 irq 5

and
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

and
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources

Now, The serials that showed up appear correct to me, but there isn't
any sio2 or sio3, but the unknown card at pci0 is in on 5.  Not sure
if there's any connection.

The things I'd like to resolve are the unknowns - to either correct or
eliminate the things causing them, and to get the sound card showing
up.  The card is onboard in a Dell Optiplex G1, and before the last
time I upgraded (thereby breaking sound) it was working fine with the
aureal-kmod port.

Problem is that I'm not sure if I should have the following:

device          pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0

Note that my fxp0 is using irq 10.  Should I just change the irq?
Should I leave it and/or the PNPBIOS line out?

I'm sure there's some pertinent details I'm leaving out, so don't
hesitate to let me know what it is.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Where are the calculations that go with a calculated risk?