Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:47:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        bsdlist@vampextream.com (bsdlist)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resizeing partion

> i have fbsd 4.10 and i need to find out if theres a way to resize a
> partion and shrink a different one to gain some room .. see what it is
> is im fairley new to fbsd and i whent with the default err the auto
> setting for partion sizeing durring sysinstall and now after a few
> months i found out that one of the partions is to small nameley /var
> so now i need to find out if theres some way to resize that partion
> and shrink my main / partion to gain the needed room all with out
> destroying
> my files and such that i currentley have install .. IE:
> nondestructiveley ..

Your best bet is to abck up everything and remake the whole
disk layout and then restore things.   You will either need an
additional disk or to do a new install on the one you have.

Especially since you want to shrink something at the beginning of
the disk, it isn't dooable on the fly.

> thx inadvance for any help on this quistion/issue
>
> FreeBSD vampextream.com 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun
>  3 15:24:56 PDT 2004
> root@vampextream.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VAMPEXTREAM  i386
>

> PS: one of the maintainers that incharge of programming the default
> disk size should make it bigger IE: 500 - 1gig in size for ppl thats
> new to fbsd or at least meation some where durring install that /var
> should be larger insize if you plan on haveing a lot of log files and
> installing quite a few of the ports collation and useing mysql

I question the default values too.   They seem oriented too much
toward minimum needs rather than typical needs in this day of large cheap disk.

////jerry