Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:36:51 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        LW Ellis <lwellis@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 configure question

--vr+XRlAyGyU9VZVD

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 12:05:25AM -0600, LW Ellis wrote:
> Thanx to some great people out there I have FreeBSD running....Yea!
> Having some difficulty setting up the XFree86 Server.
> I did like it said in the handbook, but when I=20
> ee XF86Config.new, I get a blank file.
> If I use the configure tool in the sysinstall, it fails to save the file.
> I am logged on as 'root'
>=20
> Part 2
> This computer is 3rd handme down...
> I found the screen resolution,=20
> Horizontal and vertical KHZ
> but nothing on the video adapter chipset or memory.
> Where do I go from here.
>=20
> Thanx in advance.
>=20
> Later,=20
> Leon
> A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
> Sir Winston Churchill

For the past year or two I have found it much easier to let X create a
base config file and then to manually make small changes to it that are
necessary.  Assuming you are using X v4.x, you can do this by running
the command:

# XFree86 -configure

This command will cause X to try to identify your video card, monitor
and possibly the mouse, and will write out a suitable base configuration
file to /root/XF86Config.new.  It could easily be that this file as is
will work for you.  Simply copy or move it over to /etc/X11/XF86Config
and then try to launch X.  Then tweak the file as necessary.  You may
have to manually set the resolution to something acceptable.

Nathan

--vr+XRlAyGyU9VZVD

--vr+XRlAyGyU9VZVD--