Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:05:35 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install_and_reboot target for kernel's...

Garance A Drosihn wrote this message on Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:05 -0400:
> Hardly seems worth it.  Create a script "iark":
>     #!/bin/sh
>     cd /usr/src && make installkernel KERNEL=$1 && nextboot -k
> ${KERNEL} && reboot
>
> (aside: I remember someone telling me that it makes more sense
> to just type 'reboot' than 'shutdown -r now'.  If you do add
> the target, don't you want it to depend on "installkernel" and
> not "install"?)
>
> This way you end up with even less typing:
>     iark kernel.test
>
> I'd actually spruce up the script a bit more than that, if it
> were me...  Just my 2 cents.

a) not everyone knows about nextboot, putting it in the makefile and
	documenting it will allow more people to know about it
b) there are lots of doesn't seem worth it scripts that exist in the
	base system..  we don't require people to do:
	make installkernel installmodules instead of make install do we?

the reason it depends upon install and not just installkernel is that
we want the modules installed too...

reboot vs. shutdown: I don't care, I just normally use shutdown, and
we could even automate the shutdown message that gets logged to specify
that we are rebooting to a new test kernel, which reboot doesn't..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579