Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:18:58 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't get support for postgresql or mysql

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 04:32:27PM -0500, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wro=
te:
> asolomon15 wrote:
>=20
> >Hello everyone...   I have a problem getting support for mysql within=20
> >php.   I am running freebsd 5.2.1 and php 4.3.8.  When I tried to run=20
> >a php script that uses a mysql db connection, I got  this error
> > *Fatal error*: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in
> >
> >I did a phpinfo() and noticed i didn't see any mysql or postgresql=20
> >support in it.   I then tried to install php4-mysql module from the=20
> >freebsd ports and still no luck.    I also tried reinstalling both and=
=20
> >I still end up in the same situation.   I did a google search for how=20
> >to load a mysql module but I keep getting articles about how to load=20
> >it with apache.   What should I do?=20
>=20
>=20
> Please read /usr/ports/UPDATING if it is available on your system.  If no=
t,
> you may access it via the cvsweb at the Project web site.  You will need =
> install /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions to, um, get the extensions ;-)

php4-extensions isn't *required* to install extension modules.  It's
just a handy way for people to manually select what they want out of
all of the available extensions.  Each extension nowadays is a
stand-alone port, like any other port.  PHP applications that require
a certain extension in order to work simply have to register a
run-time dependency on each of the extension modules they need.  Mosr
of the PHP applications in the ports tree have already been modified
to do that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew=09

--=20