Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:07:42 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

--nextPart7793622.r6bCXG5Pdi

On Monday, 25. October 2004 08:37, Roman Kennke wrote:

> What is the problem with such a setup? Lack of interest? Lack of
> manpower? Or wrong philosophy?

Lack of manpower. I have suggested in the past that a ports-branch for one =
or=20
more specific releases could be maintained by a band of=20
individuals/corporations (but outside of the freebsd project) which happen =
to=20
need it and I still think it's a good idea. I'm convinced that there must b=
e=20
quite a number (professional) users of FreeBSD which already invest man- an=
d=20
machinepower into things such as package builders and custom ports=20
modifications - cooperation could lead to greater benefit and some synergy=
=20
savings.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org