Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:44:01 GMT
From:      Stephen Corbesero <flash@cs.moravian.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/73421: USB not recgnized/working on Toshiba Satellie A65-1662 under 5.3

>Number:         73421
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       USB not recgnized/working on Toshiba Satellie A65-1662 under 5.3
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

My usb ports are not completely recognized.  The laptop has usb controllers that are recognized as generic ohci, and even ehci.  If I try to plug usb devices (that are known to work) after bootup, the machine never sees them.  I have used usbd in debugging mode, and no events are observed when i plug/unplug devices.

If I have a usb device plugged in at bootup, the dmesg does see the probe and find the device, but by the time I can get logged in, the device has either disappeared or the system is locked up.

I suspect his is an interrupt conflict with the "software modem".  I say this because I did a printout from windows of the hardware settings, and the software modem was attached to irq5, and all the usb devices were attached to irq9.

With the FreeBSD setup, the software modem is not seen at all, and the usb devices get assigned to irq5.  I have tried to convince them to asign a different irq, but they driver doens't seem to accept hints.  I have been reluctant to edit the kernel source for the driver, but I may have to. The bios gives me no opportunity to play with the pci configuration.

I am hoping there is some patch that can be found, or a workaround.  It would be really nice to use the usb ports on my new laptop.

>How-To-Repeat:
      n/a

>Fix:
      none that I know of yet