Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:31:47 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        max@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADSUP: ports that depend on expiring ports

There are a number of ports in the Ports Collection that are either
about to expire, or actually expired back before the freeze and no
one has gotten around to reaping them yet.  I intend to do this fairly
soon.  However, it has been brought to portmgr's attention that there
is no process for notifying maintainers of the dependent ports (we only
notify the maintainers of the expiring ports themselves).

I don't have the code in place to automate this yet, but here's a quick
list.  If anyone wants to save the dependent ports, they'd better act
in the next few days.  (NB: in each of these cases the port has not been
updated in over a year).

chinese/linux-gtk (ports@FreeBSD.org) will become broken because it
  depends on chinese/cle_base (ports@FreeBSD.org) which will expire
  November 21st due to unfixed security problem
  http://vuxml.freebsd.org/ef253f8b-0727-11d9-b45d-000c41e2cdad.html.

www/linux-beonex (trevor@FreeBSD.org) will become broken because it
  depends on graphics/linux-png10 (ports@FreeBSD.org) which will expire
  November 21st due to unfixed security problem
  http://vuxml.freebsd.org/f9e3e60b-e650-11d8-9b0a-000347a4fa7d.html.
  (Note: the Beonex home page implies that this project has stopped).

japanese/sdic (taoka@FreeBSD.org) will become broken because it
  depends on japanese/edict-sdic (taoka@FreeBSD.org) which was
  supposed to expire back in August due to a checksum mismatch.

mail/xpbiff-youbin (ports@FreeBSD.org) will become broken because it
  depends on mail/youbin (max@FreeBSD.org) which was supposed to
  expire back in August due to "locally exploitable buffer overflow in
  set-user-ID executable".

I am aware of 2 other cases and am working on those with the maintainers
directly.

mcl