Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:44:45 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Subject:   Re: QEMU

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 08:03:00PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Is anybody running qemu successfully on 5-stable? I'm trying to boot a=20
> knoppix live-cd from iso-image with:

I tried to build it from ports on amd64 but the compiler segfaulted. :-(
So it might be interesting to know what platform you're running on. From
the compiler output I could see a lot of size mismatch warnings, i.e. 64
bit issues.

> qemu -cdrom knoppix.iso -boot d
>=20
> It always reboots the computer (no core-dump, no panic, just reboot -=20
> and that's as user-started process, not under root). Same thing under=20
> X11 or console.
>=20
> I've never used qemu before, so it could be my fault :)

I've used qemu on Linux before (that's how I tried FreeBSD first), and
it ran fine. However, there are at least two qemu binaries built, one
that uses the hosts MMU, and one that has software MMU
emulation. I'd use the last one if I were you. I never could get the one
that uses the host MMU to work.

Roland

--=20
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/         X     No Word docs in email
                                     / \    Respect for open standards

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC