Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:37:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Arne "Wörner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Pavel Merdine <freebsd-fs@merdin.com>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: dup alloc, please advice

Hiho!

--- Pavel Merdine <freebsd-fs@merdin.com> wrote:
> Hello ,
> Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 12:53:33 AM, you wrote:
> >> /kernel: mode = 040700, inum = 12, fs = /somemount
> >> /kernel: panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
> >> /kernel:
> >> /kernel: syncing disks... 49 22 8 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7
> >> It happened just in 10 minutes after fsck.
> > Was fsck completed? If yes, what were the log
> > messages/results?
> I think, yes.
> I cannot provide the result, because I dont write logs. I'll
> make sure
> they are recorded next time.
> I use a script like:
> /sbin/mount $2 || (/sbin/fsck -y $2 && /sbin/mount $2)
> to mount data disks.

Ok. I do not see any error...
Maybe you should try
  /sbin/fsck -f -y $2 && /sbin/mount $2
during your next boot (that should solve many (maybe all?)
inconsistencies...).

> The machine just halted when I tried to do umount -f on disk
> that was using 100% according to systat.

umount -f is funny (shoots away all open files, I think)... :-)) I
do not know, why that does not work gracefully...

Maybe somebody can tell you, what one can do, to find out, why a
disc is 100% busy...

> Maybe you write. But now I dont mount with -f. Dont say I cant
> to umount -f :)

Maybe there are/were still legacies?

> It's not about me liking -f. There should be some documentation
> saying about proper use of softupdates and ide write cache. It's
> not always clear even from the sources.

I have the problem that atacontrol says, that write cache is
enabled, although hw.ata.wc says, that write cache is disabled...

I think, it is in any case safer (soft updates or not), to disable
write cache, because you never know, which data is discarded in
case of a sudden reset or a power failure...

Funnily after a
  dd if=/dev/ad1 bs=128k count=2000 of=/dev/null
  dd of=/opt/a bs=64 count=1000 if=/dev/zero ; fsync /opt/a
is about 5 times faster (I have the theory, that the disc write
cache can be substituted by FBSD's cache).

Bye
Arne

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250