Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:32:22 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: jerky opengl, nvidia drivers

On 01/11/05 10:29 PM, zork sat at the `puter and typed:
> ok.. even though there wasn't anything useful in the Xorg logfile,
> after recompiling the kernel i get:
>
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: enabled
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: nvidia
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.rate: 4x
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.fw: disabled
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.sba: disabled
>
> Now this almost doubles the frame rates, which is nice to see :)

Most Excellent Dude.

> Alas, the problem still remains :(

Totally Bogus.

What app are you getting the hinky video from?

> Will try upgrading everything tomorrow..

Most Righteous.

Just make sure you get all the dependencies when you do.

Good luck
Lou

> [...]
> >
> > You want status to be enabled, and rate to be 2x or 4x.
> >
> >>From the sysctls below, it looks like the NvAGP setting is already
> > turned on, so that appears to be a default.
> >
> > Since it's still not working, I suspect that if you check your
> > /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for warnings (WW) or errors (EE) related to AGP
> > use, you'll find something about the native FreeBSD AGP.  If you are
> > using a GENERIC kernel ("uname -a" will tell you), that's almost
> > certainly what's happening.
> >
> >>From what I've read, the native FreeBSD AGP doesn't always work with
> > NVidia cards.  You'll have to compile a custom kernel with the following
> > line removed:
> > device          agp
> > Check here for details:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
> >
> > Also, I'd recommend updating your ports and upgrading Xorg.  You might
> > also want to build and install the x11/nvidia-drivers port.
> >
> > Lou
> >
> > On 01/11/05 08:24 PM, zork sat at the `puter and typed:
> >
> >>well, Xorg -version says
> >>X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7
> >>
> >>I think it was installed by sysinstall as a package.
> >>
> >>I downloaded the drivers from nvidia.
> >>
> >>the device section:
> >>
> >>Section "Device"
> >>         Identifier  "MyGeForce"
> >>         Driver      "nvidia"
> >>         VendorName  "NVIDIA"
> >>         BoardName   "GeForce4 MX 440"
> >>EndSection
> >>
> >>the sysctls:
> >>
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.card.rates: 4x 2x 1x
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.card.fw: supported
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.card.sba: not supported
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.card.registers: 0x1f000017:0x00000000
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: disabled
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: n/a (unused)
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.status.rate: n/a (disabled)
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.status.fw: n/a (disabled)
> >>hw.nvidia.agp.status.sba: n/a (disabled)
> >>hw.nvidia.version: NVIDIA FreeBSD x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-6113
> >>Mon Aug  2 16:08:32 PDT 2004
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.EnableVia4x: 0
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.EnableALiAGP: 0
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.NvAGP: 1
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPSBA: 0
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPFW: 0
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.SoftEDIDs: 1
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.Mobile: 4294967295
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.ResmanDebugLevel: 4294967295
> >>hw.nvidia.registry.FlatPanelMode: 0
> >>hw.nvidia.cards.0.model: GeForce4 MX 440
> >>hw.nvidia.cards.0.irq: 16
> >>hw.nvidia.cards.0.vbios: 04.17.00.24.00
> >>hw.nvidia.cards.0.type: AGP
> >>
> >>kernel is basically the default one, built with agp device.
> >>
> >>I *am* getting the acceleration, however, something is not quite right.
> >>
> >>As i said, tuxracer runs just fine, so maybe it's some OpenGL feature
> >>which most of the apps use, but tuxracer doesn't?
> >>
> >>Anyway, i should probably try updating everything to the latest
> >>versions and see what happens then.
> >>Not so sure that it would help though :(
> >>
> >>One more thing, I can't find any line in Xorg config relating

Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Genderplex, n.:
  The predicament of a person in a restaurant who is unable to
  determine his or her designated restroom (e.g., turtles and tortoises).
    -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"