Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:12:39 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@freebsd.org>, Narayan Newton <narayannewton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slackware Handbook

Tom Rhodes <trhodes@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Personally, I'd like the "Contributed by ..." to stay for sections
> which have them.  Having those sections shown to a wider audiance
> would help with spelling/grammar/correction fixes and the person(s)
> responsible would be easier to find by contributors who may want to
> submit patches.
> [...]
> If no one else makes any comments then I think you're good
> to go since there has been more than enough time for support or
> objections to have been made.  Thanks!

Slackware is the most BSD-like of the Linux distributions out there.
For that reason and many others it has been my favorite since forever.
It _was_ the first Linux distribution I ever installed too :-)

Having said that, I think that the distribution terms of the FreeBSD
documentation, as stated in our online versions of the web site and the
docs *do* allow Slackware folks to use parts of the documentation.

This is definitely something that may benefit both sides:

  - More eyes will look at the FreeBSD docs, possibly submitting fixes
    and/or additions.

  - The Slackware Handbook will have lots of material to start with,
    which usually serves as a good motive for more people to get
    involved early.

  - If the Slackware Handbook uses a "compatible" set of distribution
    terms, we may even import back some of the material Linux people
    write in our own Handbook.

This sounds definitely good :-)

Giorgos