Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:37:57 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        alfredoj69@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Firefox

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 04:24 pm, Joshua Tinnin
<krinklyfig@spymac.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 February 2005 03:07 pm, Aperez <alfredoj69@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Nikolas Britton wrote:

> > > I don't think that would keep him from installing the newer
> > > version after he cvsuped, system might complain or manually
> > > rebuild the index but thats it. After the portupgrade problem
> > > with index and how long it takes to rebuild the index I now do
> > > this now too. also I run pkgdb -F or pkgdb -Fu and portsclean -C
> > > before running portupgrade -arRwW and after I run portupgrade I
> > > run portsclean -CDD and then clean out the old libs, that is...if
> > > portupgrade had no errors. He emailed me and said he was
> > > installing it for the first time, I think he just didn't do the
> > > cvsup part correctly.
> >
> > Okey, I just updated my ports following your instructions. I saw in
> > the Makefile file that the port version is equal to 1.0 ( before
> > was equal to 0.9). Now, what should I do next::
> >
> > Desinstall Firefox and install it again and then I run pkgdb
> >
> > or
> >
> > First run pkgbd and then install Firefox
>
> # cd /usr/ports/www/firefox && make deinstall && make clean
> # make && make install && make clean
>
> Alternately:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/www/firefox && make deinstall && make reinstall
>
> ... but I suggest the first way, as it would be sure to clean out
> everything first before rebuilding.
>
> The pkgdb stuff will be done automatically.

Also, I guess I should mention it as others have brought it up, but you
can use portupgrade to do this, too, though the way I described doesn't
need it, and it does essentially the same thing. Maybe you've already
installed it and are using it. In that case:

# portupgrade -rR firefox

Portupgrade is a convenient tool, but you have to watch out for
occasional dependency problems. Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=1

- jt